October 7th, 2019
Dear Vanier families and friends,
As we head towards Thanksgiving, we will have a liturgy this Wednesday where we will explore the concept of gratitude from our local and national perspective and also as it is expressed throughout the world in various cultures. Parents and guardians are always welcome at our liturgies, so please consider yourselves invited this Wednesday from 11:09 until 12:12!
Our website – www.vcss.ca – is where you can find our handbook and is a great source of school information, too!
Ryan Sikkes, principal
Dates to Note:
Wednesday, October 9 – the students, staff and families from all Whitehorse Schools will be participating in the annual Thanksgiving Food Drive.
- Participants should gather at Vanier by 5:45pm.
- Students will be matched up with adult drivers and will pick up bags of food at residences in Riverdale until 8 pm.
- We will not allow students to drive other students. Students with their license may drive siblings However, this Is a school event and, for safety reasons, we cannot allow students to drive other students.
- Collection will happen between 6:00pm and 8:00pm and the bags of food will be Immediately delivered to the Whitehorse Food Bank at 305 Alexander Street. Students may wish to help with unloading bags at the Food Bank. This work will likely be completed by 8:45pm and students can be picked up at that time.
- Permission forms for students to ride with other parents/guardians to collect food items or to offer services as a driver can be found here: http://www.vcss.ca/home/food-drive-permission-form
- We kindly as that you please place your bag of donated items outside your home in a well-lit area before 6:00pm on October 9th. This event involves hundreds of student volunteers who do their best to get every home; if your bag is not collected, we apologize and ask that you drop it off at one of the Whitehorse secondary schools (FH Collins, Porter Creek Secondary or Vanier Secondary) or at the Whitehorse food bank @ 306 Alexander Street.
- Examples of non-perishable goods: Canned: meat, fish, milk, soup, beans, vegetables, fruit. Dry foods: dried prepared meals, pasta, pasta sauce, rice, cold and hot cereal, sugar, dry soup mix, coffee, tea, crackers, peanut butter, jam. NO EXPIRED GOODS, PLEASE.
Friday, October 11 – PD Day: All-Secondary Schools. Enjoy your day off – the staff will be working hard!
Monday, October 14 - Thanksgiving Holiday – No School.
Wednesday, October 16 – Post Secondary Information Night – 6:00pm @ Vanier Small Gym [Please note the time change from 6:30 to 6:00 pm.]
For Parents and students to learn about:
- Post-Secondary application process
- Deadlines to be aware of including early admissions
- How to get started in the trades
- Career exploration possibilities
- How to make a "gap year" meaningful
- Money stuff including scholarships and where to find them
Tuesday, October 29 – Student Led Conferences. More information to come in a few weeks.
Looking for a Boost
Booster Cards - The sale of Booster Cards Is one of the most Important fundraisers for our school community and It Is the only school-wide fundraiser we expect all our students to participate In. The funds raised help ensure that all of our students can participate fully in extra-curricular activities regardless of their family's financial situation. In addition, we use these funds for purchases and activities that benefit the entire school community like the blue benches in the hallways and picnic tables outside and around the school.
In order to make this a successful fundraiser we are looking for businesses to offer deals or discounts for the year ahead. Here are just a few ways to help us raise money for our students:
- You, a family member, or friend have a business that would be able to offer a deal or discount;
- You're available to help us contact businesses to generate support;
- You have ideas on how to make the Booster card more appealing to purchase; and/or
- You can help sell the Booster cards yourself or through your business!
Attendance – If you are planning a vacation during school time, or know of a planned absence for your student, please make sure to inform the office (not just the teachers). This will ensure your student is marked excused and you won’t receive a call and/or email at the end of the day. Either call 867-667-5901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know!
Office 365 – As part of the mail-out package mentioned above, you will see information regarding “Office 365,” which is an online suite of programs that students can access through Yukon Education. Vanier believes this is an excellent tool and resource. We hope that all students “opt-in” for Office 365. This form only needs to be filled out if you choose to OPT-OUT. If you have any questions, please call us.
Tutoring - Through the Skills Room, all Vanier students can access a free tutoring program. If your child needs support with their school work (academics, organization etc), please encourage them to pick up a form requesting tutoring in the Skills Room. All concerns and questions can come to Ms. Cann. At this point in time we have many tutors available, but as the school year picks up there tends to be less availability.